Consumption of sorghum represents, for several categories of people, a real possibility to control and improve their health and well-being. Let us see, in detail, what are the main properties of this cereal:
- It is an ideal food for keeping diabetes under control: in sorghum, in fact, the presence of tannins, particular substances synthesized in plants at the level of the hull, inhibits the absorption of starch and facilitates the regulation in the blood of insulin and glucose levels. (Note: US Sorghum does not contain tannins. They have been bred out. However, polyphenols, which are present in the hull of the grain, provide numerous health benefits.)
- It represents a viable food option for all those suffering from celiac disease: unlike many grains (such as wheat), this product is gluten-free and, therefore, its consumption is risk-free for those with the well-known food intolerance.
- It contains important antioxidants: they have the function of neutralizing free radicals, reactive chemicals.
- It improves digestive health: the fiber in the cereal, in fact, promotes intestinal motility and helps regulate disorders such as constipation.
- Improves bone density: the amount of Magnesium present in sorghum ensures the proper balance and absorption of Calcium in the body.
- It is a great source of energy: during the metabolization process, the complex carbohydrates of which sorghum is composed are transformed into simple glucose molecules, which are useful and effective in supplying our bodies with energy.
- Reduces LDL cholesterol: the high concentration of fiber reduces blood sugar levels and thus plays a key role against this disease.