Thank you for your interest in Sorghum United. Our organization consists of hundreds of stakeholders located on every continent, with the exception of Antarctica. These stakeholders represent all points in the value chain for sorghum and millets. This includes researchers, seed dealers, farmers, processors, investment bankers, input providers, marketers, and even consumers.
The mission of Sorghum United is to provide producer and consumer education to promote markets development for small climate-smart grains such as sorghum and millets. Additionally, the group provides much-needed connectivity within the global industry, allowing for the exchange of ideas and knowledge without geographic or political barriers. We are a grassroots organization which receives no taxpayer funding and chooses not to solicit grants. Rather we focus on economic self-sustainability through entrepreneurial approaches to our mission, such as the creation of the Sorgho Squad book series.
Sorghum United believes that sorghum and millets represent an opportunity to promote economic and environmental sustainability to the global agri-food systems and for conventional and small-holder farmers locally. Additionally, these grains offer regional solutions regarding hunger and malnutrition in even the driest of conditions. Sorghum United promotes a value over volume approach to agriculture and empowers entrepreneurs to work directly with farmers to source grain and to create economic opportunities in regional value chain systems.
The Sorghum United global network of stakeholders continues to grow. If you would like to become a part of the Sorghum United team, please consider joining our Whatsapp group, which is easily accessible via our website at: sorghumunited.com. The website also contains useful information for farmers, consumers, and educators.
Again, thank you for your interest in Sorghum United. We value mutually beneficial collaborations. If you have an idea that you would like to share, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
CEO, Sorghum United
Goals for the International Year of the Millet:
To focus world attention on the role of sorghum and millets in climate-smart agriculture and nutritional value for food security, nutrition, and poverty eradication, and in support of the achievement of the internationally agreed development goals including the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Increase the visibility of the great potential of sorghum and millets to contribute to global food security, especially in countries where the population has no access to other protein sources or where production conditions are limiting.
- Prepare technical and policy frameworks for the conservation and sustainable use of sorghum and millets diversity worldwide.
- Recognize and provide value to small-holder farmers of sorghum and millets by developing consumer markets demand for healthy and sustainable food, feed, fiber, and fuel sourced from sorghum and millets.
- Improve international cooperation and partnerships between public, private and non-governmental organizations related to the cultivation and promotion of sorghum and millets.
- Promote the importance of developing sustainable production systems for sorghum and millets for consumption and food security.
- Increased awareness of sorghum and millets and how these grains can help alleviate hunger and malnutrition.
- Better understanding of the markets, opportunities, constraints and channels in order to provide small-holder farmers with access to markets and expand existing high-value markets.
- Advance scientific and technical knowledge and information exchange on sorghum and millets.
- Programs and projects to promote the expansion of sorghum and millets in supply chains, production, and innovation around the globe generally, and specifically in regions facing water and food insecurities.
The key focus areas for IYM include:
- Information and Communication
- Research, technology and marketing
- Fundraising and cooperation
THE SORGHO SQUAD:
MEET JOWAR! HE’S THE EXPERT AT SHARING THE SUSTINABLE AND CLIMATE-SMART INDUSTRIAL APPLICATIONS FOR SORGHUM!
MEET MASHILLA! SHE’S A MASTER AT TEACHING ABOUT THE HEALTH AND NUTRITION BENEFITS OF SORGHUM IN HUMAN AND ANIMAL DIETS!
MEET MILO! HE’S A FRIEND OF WILDLIFE AND THE ENVIRONMENT AND KNOWS ALL ABOUT THE BENEFITS OF SORGHUM TO SOIL HEALTH AND WATER CONSERVATION!
About Sorghum United
The work of Sorghum United is truly a global effort. Our team is comprised of sorghum industry professionals on every continent except Antartica. We believe in the positive impacts of sorghum in human and animal diets, renewable industrial processes, and as a climate-smart option for farmers who value water conservation, soil health, wildlife habitat, and carbon sequestration.