Expression of Interest
(For International Collaboration in the Creation of the ‘Indo-U.S. Millets Initiative’ for Promotion, Education, and Markets Development for Sorghum and Millets of the Poaceae Family)
Lincoln Nebraska U.S.A.
The India Millet Initiative
Noida, Delhi NCR, India
The North America Millets Alliance
Michigan, Idaho, and California U.S.A.
The Daugherty Water for Food Global Institute
(Specifically in the areas of water productivity, conservation, and greenhouse gas mitigation)
This expression of interest was signed at the Office of Sorghum United in Lincoln, Nebraska U.S.A. on the 21st day of December 2023 between Nate Blum, CEO of Sorghum United, Dr. Satyen Yadav, Chairman of the India Millet Initiative, Dr. Don Osborn, Co-Founder of The North American Millets Alliance, and Dr. Chittaranjan Ray, Director of the Nebraska Water Center at the Daugherty Water for Food Global Institute.
Sorghum United is a global non-profit grassroots organization comprised of stakeholders in various capacities within the sorghum and millets community. Sorghum United works to connect stakeholders globally, grow value-added markets in local and regional value chains, and provide consumer and producer education.
The mission of the India Millet Initiative is to bring the maximum number of farmers, processors, buyers, aggregators, or any other stakeholders who believe in the promotion of millets and want to be part of the millet expansion program.
North American Millets Alliance (NAMA) is a non-profit social-benefit initiative promoting millets as resilient crops and nutritious foods in the US and its neighbors. NAMA’s current focus is enriching public understanding in this region about millets, their potential, and the people and organizations already working with one or more of them. We currently operate on a volunteer basis, and in collaboration with other organizations.
The Daugherty Water for Food Global Institute at the University of Nebraska works to address the global challenge of achieving food security with less stress on water resources through water management in agricultural and food systems.
Expression their Interest in the Following Efforts:
This Expression of Interest will have the following major objectives to be achieved through mutual support and cooperation:
1) To strengthen Indo-U.S. organizational relationships in hopes of facilitating the exchange of ideas, student opportunities, research, trade, and meaningful governmental and private sector interactions.
2) To create opportunities for the promotion of sorghum and millets in value-added food, fuel, and fiber applications for North American consumers and industrial audiences.
3) To co-facilitate international educational events, online and in-person, within the context of producer and entrepreneurial education about the production and processing of sorghum and millets under the auspices of the Decade of Millets.
4) To promote global water and soil conservation and food security measures leveraging drought- tolerant grains such as sorghum and millets
5) To advocate for federal and state policies within the U.S.A. and India that favor the production of sorghum and millets in diversified cropping systems and small and medium business creation for sustainable ancient-grain-based products.
Each of the Signatories below represents and warrants that he or she is authorized to express their intents on behalf of the party for whom he or she signs, and that no further authority or execution by any other person for such party is necessary with a focus on plant breeding, agronomy, value addition, research, and policy.